A vintage Cottage


Just my story about a little Vintage Cottage I stumbled upon "down the shore" one day. I'd been searching for one like it for a little more than 2 years. All I required were two small things.
A small price, and a small view of the water.
Now, 9 years later, it is hard to believe I ever thought twice about it when I found it. I remember saying to the real estate agent "You know it really needs work, I would only be buying it for the view." But oh boy... boy what a view!
I thought about it for a full month. The price was great. The view far surpassed my dreams of what was within my reach. I am so glad I saw the possibilities, and had a simple vision for the interior. This is a continuing story about the joys that have come my way through my Cottage Beach House.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Comfy old chair gets a Beach Lift

  I had this old chair that I purchased around 1995 that was desperate for a re-do.It started out in my bedroom at home as a little escape for reading. Then it got pushed out of there for a exercise bike and relegated to the basement to withstand some character building abuse from the kiddos. 
  So in mercy, I drug it down the shore and stuffed into my tiny serene bedroom, where it hardly got any use till recently, when we had the back deck renovated and made it into a sunroom right off my bedroom which now houses all kinds of comfy furniture for taking in the view.
  So here is the before.... hardly fitting in with the beach vibe we were going for....right?

I really wanted to find a fabric similar to the one in this Coastal Living magazine picture below.
With a bit of a nautical vibe. (This was in my vision file since 2002) 
My vision file is just a file of stuff I love.



So I finally found the fabric I would use!
But I am such a procrastinator some times.
This was one of those times. I'd made a slipcover once before for my sofa and I sewed for 12 hours straight, just stopping for nourishment! It's not something I am great at and didn't really look forward to.
Finally though this job was going to get done!

And here is the end result:




It fits in the room much better now in it's new skin. And it's still one of my most comfy little chairs!

1 comment:

Sue said...

This chair and ottoman now look as if they belong in a beach cottage! Love the striped fabric. What a transformation to be proud of!
Visiting from Suzanne's party.
~ Sue

Related Posts with Thumbnails